Aims of the pre-school:
- To provide a happy, stimulating and safe environment for children, staff and parents.
- To facilitate the development of lively, enquiring minds, encouraging positive attitudes and independence towards learning.
- To achieve high standards, enabling each child to develop their full potential and learn through play.
- To provide a broad, relevant curriculum reflecting the needs of the individual child and fulfilling the requirements of the pre-school curriculum.
- To provide opportunities for fun and friendship in a caring environment.
- To support the important role of parents/carers in their young child’s education.
- To maintain a happy and purposeful, learning environment which will challenge and motivate the children in our care.
- To include and value the contribution of all families to our understanding of equality and diversity.
Since October 2017 we have been implementing ‘planning in the moment’ in our setting.
This concept involves allowing child-initiated, real time, learning through play based on capturing the interest of a child at the current time. Young children have a natural desire to learn, explore and question and we are able to offer core provisions and an environment that enables this activity in order to capture the moment of engagement for each child.
When a child shows a level of interest and curiosity in one of our ‘environments’, our experienced practitioners seize the ‘teachable moment’ and try to build upon and enhance their experience.
- We aim to provide opportunities and environments that stimulate curiosity over a range of activities.
- We observe and listen closely so that we can follow the child’s lead
- We pick up on the thing/place/person/idea that has sparked the child’s interest
- We use open-ended questions that ask for a description, rather than a yes/no or other single word answer – using what/why/how questions
- We praise and reinforce positive learning experiences